Is mildew dangerous? Get this checked ASAP

You’ve probably heard of or even encountered mildew at one point or another. But how much do you really know about it? Mildew is a type of fungi that can grow on a variety of different surfaces, including wood, cloth, paper, and drywall. However, it’s most common in moist, warm climates, where it’s found on surfaces like floors and walls. Fortunately, mildew is generally harmless if you don’t have it indoors. It is a type of mold that is less problematic than black mold or other mold types.


 In most cases, it’s completely harmless. But in some rare cases, it can cause other problems. If you live in a humid environment, you’re more likely to encounter mildew than someone who lives in a dry climate. As such, you’re more likely to experience mildew problems. The most common mildew problem is mildew growth on the surface of your walls. However, it can also cause problems in other parts of your home. For example, it can trigger allergies and cause damage to certain types of paint. To keep mildew growth at bay, follow these tips:

Be aware of what causes mildew

The fungus that causes mildew is often found in warm, damp areas like your home’s walls and ceilings. These areas tend to stay relatively cool, which is why they’re less likely to develop mildew compared to warmer areas like your roof. However, mildew can also grow outdoors under such conditions as a building’s exterior walls, patios, and driveways. It can also grow inside attics and garages, where it’s sometimes called attic mildew.

Maintain proper humidity levels

Maintaining the right level of humidity in the air can help prevent mildew. In general, humidity levels in your home should be between 35 and 50 percent. If you’re experiencing mildew, try to lower the humidity levels in the area where the mildew is growing. This will make it less favorable for the fungus to grow.

Know the signs of mildew

As mildew is largely harmless, it can sometimes be hard to tell if it’s causing any damage. This can make dealing with it a bit challenging. However, there are some telltale signs that can help you identify the problem and take the necessary steps to solve it. If you see any of these signs, you may have a mildew problem:

  • A musty or moldy odor.
  • Tiny white or yellow spots on the wall surface.
  • Discoloration of the paint, including yellowing.
  • Moisture or dampness in the air.

If you notice any of these, it can be a great idea to test for mold and mildew. You will get a report that indicates what type of mold you have. It can suggest if it is harmful and how it has to be removed. There are a lot of types of mold so it is better to test to be sure. While some are less harmful and will only make things look bad, others can be more harmful for your house and yourself. Mold can spread so it is essential that you get this checked as soon as possible.

Take preventative measures

As mildew is generally a problem of excess moisture, you can try taking steps to reduce moisture levels in the area where it’s growing. For example, if you have mildew growth on the ceiling, try to find out where the water comes from. It can be a leak or condensation. In the first case, you want your plumber to check what is going on and fix it. In the second case, you can try to add ventilation or find a way to remove the condensation.

Clean up small mildew outbreaks regularly

If you notice a small mildew outbreak on a single wall or ceiling, you can try cleaning it up yourself if the report indicated that it is harmless. Simply wear protective equipment and use a mild detergent and sponge to clean the area, followed by a vinegar solution to neutralize the mildew. Be sure to clean all nearby surfaces, as mildew can spread easily. You might have to trow away and replace some isolation or other materials. 

Is mildew dangerous

Mildew is generally harmless, but it can cause problems in some rare cases. If you’re experiencing any of the above signs, it may be time to call a professional. In some cases, mildew can cause allergies, asthma, and even cancer. If you notice any of these symptoms, it’s best to get them checked out by a doctor.

Mold versus mildew

While mildew is a type of fungus, it’s not the same thing as mold. Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in damp, dark areas. It’s often found on indoor surfaces, such as floors and walls, but it can also grow outdoors in warmer climates.

Mildew, on the other hand, grows on surfaces that are relatively dry. It’s most often found on the walls and ceilings of homes, but it can also grow on certain types of furniture, upholstery, and other indoor surfaces.

Mildew can be a bit tricky to identify, as both mold and mildew produce similar signs and symptoms. As such, a professional is the best person to make the distinction. If you notice any of the above signs, it’s time to call a professional. A professional can help you identify the cause of the mildew problem and take the necessary steps to solve it.

What makes mildew dangerous is that people can confuse it with mold. They might think that they have some harmless mildew while they have mold. For this reason, it is essential that you get your home checked when you suspect that you have mold or mildew. Only a lab test can confirm with certainty what is going on. 

To conclude, we can state that while mildew is generally harmless, it is essential that you get it checked. You have to find the source so that it doesn’t reappear and get it cleaned completely. This will make sure that you won’t have to deal with the same issue again.