If you’ve ever been in a bathroom that had a centipede in it, then you know exactly how big and gross these creatures can be. They are long, multi-legged arthropods that are related to millipedes and many other species of oddball bugs.
While not generally harmful to humans, they do have the capacity to annoy us with their appearance. Since most people don’t like them around, this article will tell you all about centipedes in the home and how to get rid of them for good. Let’s dive into this topic today so we can be educated about these crawlers.
What is a Centipede?
Centipedes (or 100-legged arthropods) are among the oddest-looking organisms on the planet. Although they are not insects, they are closely related. Centipedes evolved about 350 million years ago and are often found living in tropical and desert environments.
They are long, thin, cylindrical creatures with anywhere from 15-100 legs depending on the species. They have two pairs of antennae, one pair of pincers, and a pair of compound eyes on the head. They have long, flattened bodies designed to help them move quickly while hunting.
They live in certain climates and can appear more during summer.
You shouldn’t touch them with your bare hands. Wear gloves or other protective equipment. A broom and dustpan can also be used to pick it up. You can then place it outside. This is the fastest way of getting rid of it.
Where are Centipedes Found in your bathroom?
Centipedes are not the cleanest animals in the world. They like to live in dark, damp places and will often be found in bathrooms. There is a good chance you have had centipedes in your bathroom at one point or another in life if they live in your area.
They are often found in bathrooms because it’s dark and warm, and there is plenty of food to be found in the bathroom. They love to eat dead insects and other small creatures that are commonly present in bathrooms. They are also often found under the sink or in the crawl space of your home too. They can walk in your shower pan or on the wall.
You can install a bathroom fan to make your bathroom less humid. This makes it less comfortable for the centipedes. If it is not possible to do this, make sure to open up the door or window after you have showered. This removes the most air from this part of your house.
A bathroom should be cleaned every week. It can be tempting to skip this but wiping everything down with a cloth and some soap can do wonders. Dirt can build up over time, making it a lot harder to remove later on.
How to Get Rid of Centipedes in the Home and drain
If you want to get rid of centipedes in the home, you will first have to identify how they are getting inside your house. Below are some tips on how you can get rid of them:
– Check your drains: Centipedes are often found in the drain leading to your toilet. If this is the case, you will have to call a plumbing company to come out and clean the drains for you. This is often done with water pressure. Plumbers have cameras that allow them to see inside drains and detect problems.
– Seal off entry points: Centipedes can make their way into your home through many different entry points. It is important to seal these off so they cannot get inside. You can use tape for this or also a piece of metal. You will have to look around to find all these small gaps. I once had a gap under a vanity sink that allowed centipedes to enter my house. I didn’t realize this for a long while!
– Clean up your bathroom: Keeping your bathroom clean will help to keep centipedes out of your home. Make sure to clean up all food and crumbs so they don’t attract these bugs. You can use a toothbrush to clean the drains inside your shower. Open up the drain cap and clean the drain. Make sure to wear gloves when you do this.
– Spray down your bathroom. Use a good bug spray to spray down your bathroom and other areas where you’ve seen centipedes. This will remove them as well as keep them away from your home. There are specialized products for this. Read the instructions on them as it is possible that you can’t use your bathroom for a while after this.
– Use plants Planting certain houseplants around your home can help to repel centipedes. Plants like geraniums, lavender, and mint can help keep these bugs away from your home.
All of these tips can help you when you have centipedes in your bathroom. They are quite easy to implement by yourself. You might get more centipedes over time if you don’t take care of the root of the problem. A plumber can help you with this as well.
This article has given you all the information you need to know about centipedes in the home. These creatures are long, cylindrical arthropods that are closely related to insects. They were once common in tropical and desert environments, but they have now adapted to live in many different places around the world. When you see a centipede in your bathroom, it is best to get rid of them as soon as possible.
The best way to do this is to seal off their entry points, clean up your bathroom, and spray down your bathroom with an insecticide. Repel them with plants or with insecticides. If you follow these tips, you will be sure to have a clean, centipede-free bathroom for years to come.